Another week has come and gone in West Memphis!
We started it off with district council, and an exchange with the Blytheville elders. I stayed in West Memphis with Elder Tilby. One of our objectives for the day was to find a guy we'd met last week. He wasn't home, though. As we walked by the house next door, there were a couple people sitting on coolers on the porch drinking and smoking weed, and wouldn't you know it, one of them was the guy we were looking for!
So we pulled up a cooler and talked. It went alright, until the wasps started buzzing around, and freaked another guy out so he left, and then the other guy left and then there wasn't anybody left to teach, so........
Some highlights from the rest of the week:
- We were tracting in Marion, a nicer town just north of West Memphis, and some lady drove by us in our car afterward, slowed down, and took a picture of our license plate...?
- Later that day, we were looking for a member we had a note for. As we came up on the road, we saw an address just shy of the one we were looking for, followed by a corner house, an intersecting street, and then more houses. We crossed the street, parked, and then walked back to the corner house. Assuming it was the address we were looking for. As we neared the front door, we saw the address didn't match after all, but decided to knock anyway.
Out came a pretty friendly guy who said he grew up in the church, but hadn't been since he joined the marines like 25 years ago. We had a good talk with him and then walked back to the car. I kinda assumed he was the member we were looking for after all, and the address we had was just wrong. But then we realized his name wasn't the name we were looking for, and the address we really were looking for was right by where we parked our car. But I think we weren't supposed to notice that, cause otherwise we would've missed talking to the other guy. We were supposed to knock on the wrong door. It's just cool to see how the Lord uses us, prepares His children, and cares for His sheep, active or not.
- Later in the week, we met a guy who goes by "Big Bubba."
- Isaiah came to church! Sunday morning was a bit of a rollercoaster, but he made it and enjoyed it. And he's now preparing to be baptized on June 22nd!
- On Sunday afternoon, we wanted to find some more people to teach. As we were driving, I had the thought to go to "Belvedere St.," but passed it before I could turn. We settled for another street, but after a few doors we weren't having any luck, and I kept thinking about that other street. So we stopped and got back in the car, and backtracked to Belvedere St., where we were able to find 3 new people to teach! We were just on the wrong street.
And then yesterday wasn't our p day, today is! (Tuesday). So Elder Oseen and I were in West Memphis on exchanges. And today we're headed to Arlington, TN for our mission p day. So that'll be fun and I'll write about it next week, assuming I live to tell the tale!
Love y'all! Have a great week!
915 Vanderbilt Ave,
West Memphis, AR, 72301
Serving A Mission!
What's all this about? As a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, it is expected of me that I will serve a two-year mission. (And yeah, the "riding bikes and wearing nametags and knocking on doors" kind of mission.) But this isn't something I'm doing because it's expected of me... I'm doing this because the Restored Gospel of Jesus Christ has blessed my life SO much, in SO many ways. I can't think of a greater honor or responsibility than being able to play a part in someone's story of finding and enjoying these blessings, too.
Sign up to get my weekly emails!
(After June 20, 2017)
Elder Oliver Wrigley Dahl
Arkansas Little Rock Mission
905 Kierre Dr
North Little Rock AR 72116